Once I was happy with the arrangement, I grabbed a bristle brush and my bottle of Mod Podge. I chose glossy Mod Podge for this project, but any similar product or finish would work just fine. I worked with one piece at a time, applying the Mod Podge to my letter, laying the paper down, pressing out wrinkles, then covering the paper with more Mod Podge. I only ran into a few bubbles, which I easily fixed by pressing into them with the handle of my paint brush and adding more Mod Podge.
As you can see in this photo, I edged some of my seams with a piece of punched cardstock and patterned paper.
When the front was dry, I applied papers to the inside and outside edges. I left the back bare. While waiting for the Mod Podge to completely dry, I made my embellishments.
I made rolled fabric flowers in gingham and mustard yellow, as well as a lace and felt flower with a pearl center. I altered several flowers from K and Company (canvas and tulle) by scrunching the centers. Before adding my flowers, I took a walnut stain ink to the edges - the ink blended beautifully into the Mod Podge and was soaked up by the kraft papier mache. I really love the effect. Once the monogram was dry, I arranged my embellishments and adhered them with hot glue.
I plan to create a collage of the letter B in my livingroom, this one being the largest and most detailed. As my collage progresses, I'll post photos in The Studio's gallery.
Thank you for stopping by today! If you have any similar projects to share, or if you give this one a try, link me to your altered alpha here in the comments or post in the gallery. We'd all love to see. Have a great day! Tessa