Sunday 1 August 2010

Sunday Challenge: 1st August

Time to get your mists, inks and paint out for today's challenge. I've only starting using mists since I joined this DT because the girls are so good with them. And our new teamies seem to have a certian flair with them too! So no pressure ;)

Masking! Find something creative from around your home to use as a mask for misting, inking or painting on your layout.

Get a load of these LOs and don't forget to share yours using the sidebar link.

Andrea:
As soon as I saw this challenge, I knew that I wanted to re-create the looking of water/bubbles in some way. I think that I was able to do this by using different sizes of coins . . . I used some dimes, nickels and quarters as well as a light turquoise smooch spray and a dark sapphire blue glimmer mist! It was soo fun. I also added various rub-ons, thickers, prima flower centers, some pearl bling, and some clear pebble stickers. I also added some pearl glimmer mist to my two die cut butterflies! Thanks for looking! Anna:
I really enjoyed making this layout as I love getting messy with mists and paint! I have been saving a small pile of tags and labels from clothes and bags that I buy, to use in my scrapping and I thought this would be a great time to use them! I placed the tags on my background and sprayed two colours of mists, red and yellow, on them. I then added some paint splashes. I then used some of the real tags on it too, I love the fact that you can't really tell which ones are real! I didn't even use any patterned paper, just the background piece!

Fabi: I love mist, in all ways...and always looking for stuff i can use as templates. For this one, Ive made some littles flags of paper and used then as masks, the same with the arrow. Then used them all in the project.

The round with lots of dots effect, you'd never believe what it is...is one of those old household stuff you use to wash rice lol. Im not sure if you ever have them out of Brasil, anyway....this effect is from its bottom! Here a sneak (above) of my cute flower...mounted from a K&Company kit, several pieces of fabric so you can play and create yout own flower, and the detail of the round mist with the rice washer. This other sneak you can see better the cool effect. I have used 2 colours of glimmer mist, to reach this blue-green-yellowish look :)

This layout talks about one of my best friends in Brasil, Leticia, and how we are always talking about pareting advices, etc.

Now i wanna see what you all come up with! XX Fabi

Lisa:

Nic:

I really enjoyed this challenge as I love getting messy with paints, inks etc and lots of splattering went on for this LO! I made my own template from some punch offcuts left over from another project and sprayed several different glimmer mists and some smooch spritz very liberally!

Rebekah:

I used a knife to get the wave line splitting the page up. I couldn't fit it in the pizza box though so my desk is now mottled again :) The first of many engagment LOs!
Sara: When I first saw this challenge, I jumped up straight away to see what items I had around the house to create a mask with. We have a lot of these plastic baskets for storing various things (toys, scrap supplies etc.) and I thought it would be a great item to use as a mask.

I originally had just the basket masking down the side then I decided the other side was too open and had to add a few splotches and a masked corner on the photo.

Tessa:

I have these really great, self-adhesive circle masks by Heidi Swapp that I use all the time. A blog reader asked me once where I got them, and unfortunately she couldn't locate them for herself. So, I challenged myself to find a common, easily used circle mask. What did I come up with? A CD! It is heavy enough that it didn't blow around my page when I was spraying my mist, it is a great size, easy to clean afterwards, and easy to store. If you don't want the circle in the middle to be a part of your design, just cover it with a little masking tape. I made the "coffee cup rings" with a lid from a spray paint can dipped in mist.

Valerie: For this challenge I tried masking with many different items around the house – including tart tins, strainers, cookie cooling racks & seashells. Had no idea how much masking potential is in my kitchen! The item I though made the best impromptu masking tool, though, was a starfish. My collection of dried starfish & seashells typically live in a big decorative bowl on my dining room table but this one valiantly sacrificed his spot in the display to become a craft tool. Here’s my layout:
here's a detail of one of the starfish....
Materials: Cardstock: Bazzill (kraft); Patterned paper: The Girls Paperie; Stickers: Studio Calico, 7 Gypsies; Letters: Basic Grey; Mist: Tattered Angels (Apple & Marshmallow); Pen: American Crafts (Black), Marvy LePlume (Dark Grey #21); Punch: EK Success

I positioned the starfish in different locations and misted with a green spray ink. I dried it with a heat gun then outlined the shapes with a dark gray marker. In an attempt to imitate the look of sand I then added small dots with the grey marker all over the page. Then I went back and sprayed over the entire page with a white mist to tone down the green. The resulting base was perfect for some photos I had of my kids at our local beach.

Amanda

After misting all kinds of things on old newspapers I fell in love with the shape of this glass decorative bowl. My partner was a bit confused by the pile of rainbow-infused crockery in the sink ;)

I have had this photo of my birthday cake since last September, and seeing as my next birthday isn't far off I thought I'd better finally get my thoughts down about turning 30!

10 comments:

  1. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! These are AMAZING!!!! I am gonna have to tell some of my fave fave fave 'misters' (hehehehehe...did I just re-define that word!?!?!?! LOL!) about this challenge!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the inspiration... just lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love this and the DT layouts are amazing!! I have just the things to mask that i found whilst inspecting hubby's garage!!

    Just got to have a tidy then i can do the LO :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I joined this DT for lots of reasons, one of which is that it got me misting! You girls rock the mist as Amanda would say :) Can't wait to see what everyone else does with the challenge. Intrigued about what Nat found in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Rebekah - I was amazed at what the DT came up with for masking and I'm feeling totally inspired - can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love what everyone has come up with. Was away on vacation but am back this week.. can't wait to play!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great inspiration! I linked one up, but here is the url http://kmassman-scrapbooks-cards.blogspot.com/2010/08/pandas-at-zoo-in-memphis-in-black-and.html
    I used a heart that was just hanging around in my craft room as a mask!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in awe of these fab pages and can't believe all the different things you masked with!! Glad I found this site.
    Here is my take:-
    http://melgetsscrappy.blogspot.com/2010/08/this-kiss.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great layouts from the DT :O) Loved the challenge you can see my attempt here... http://silvercustard.blogspot.com/2010/08/studio-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh... have been following the Studio blog for a while... have now plucked up the courage to join in with a challenge... These layouts really inspired me... You will find my entry on the sidebar, and at http://happiscrapper.blogspot.com
    titled Love what you do, do what you love.
    Thanks girls!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, don't forget to upload your Sunday challenge layouts to Inlinkz in the sidebar!