Sunday 5 September 2010

Sunday Challenge

Good Morning! I hope that this post finds you well and that you weren't all up too late uploading your cybercrop and August goodies to the site. We will be having a look at each and every project over the next week and revealing our winners too.

And so to today's challenge from Amanda:
As it's my birthday week, I want to see your birthday pages or mini albums! I always struggle to make birthday pages that don't look 'cheesy', so I'm looking forward to stealing all your ideas!

She's not alone in struggling I'd say but luckily the design team are on hand with some inspiration to get you up and running. Remember to upload your September LOs using the Inlinkz sidebar by 2nd October.

Amanda:


I decided to focus my layout on the thoughts I've been having lately about my life, and getting another year older. I've tucked my journaling into a little pocket I made by making a slit in my patterned paper, as it's my private thoughts.

Andrea:




I figured that I didn't need a picture of my kiddo blowing out birthday candles . . .besides that I couldn't find one . . . but I was able to find this beauty which is of my birthday girl playing with one of her cherished birthday gifts that she got from her auntie! I did some more masking . . .this time using circles . .. then I found some oldie but still way goodie stickers from K & Co. I added bling and journaling along with 2 different types of flowers. Can't wait to see your birthday pages, too! ** I forgot to add, this layout is 8 1/2 x 11 which is a size that I RARELY scrap! It was a fun addition to the birthday challenge for me.

Anna:


This photo is of my nephew on his 2nd Birthday a few weeks ago, he loved to sing along when ever everyone sang Happy Birthday to him even though he can't actually say the words yet!!
I painted over some stars for the background to leave the outline of them and added some musical note paper and lots of borders and some hats!

Fabi:


Usually Bday layouts are really cheesy so this is a nice challenge for us to make bday pages in a different way. Ive tried to think out of the box and why not making a layout of really the birth day?

This page features my little niece, who was born a few days after Xmas, but had a cardiac and breath stops and almost died. The layout talks about her birth. The first days were very critical and we didnt knew if she would make. The picture of from her, on the first day my brother could hold her (she was +- 10 days there). The cute outfit she is wearing was a gift of mine...So i love this picture.

Lisa:

This is one birthday that is yet to be recorded. My hubby's 32nd, spent in hospital
with our very poorly little boy who got rushed into hospital at 11pm an hour before hubby's birthday started with appendicitus. A birthday none of us will forget.

Nic:



Turning 13 is a bit of a milestone birthday - not only is it the start of those 'teen' years but in my son's case, it was also the start of an deep seated aversion to the camera lens and having his photo taken! Although I think my photo's of this occasion are technically far from perfect, they are the only ones I have and they do capture the emotions and the memories associated with this particular birthday celebration, so I went ahead and scrapped them anyway.

I chose papers with a 'typical' boy feel, added my journaling on a slide out card which slots in under the photos, used a lightning transparency for the first half of my title and finished by adding liquid pearls to highlight the chocolate button numbers on his cake.

Sara:
We recently celebrated my youngest son's 1st birthday, so I had quite a few piccies to pick from. I love this one of cupcake smashed all over his face, it's one of those photos you just have to get on their first birthday.

I chose a bright colour scheme, as its a fun way to scrap birthday photos. You can always choose to change your piccies to black and white to make mixing the bright colours easier.

Sue:
click on the layout to make this double-pager bigger.

I am in love with birthdays. Specifically birthday party planning for my growing daughter. This is a special day for me too because it is the day I celebrate becoming a mother for the first time ( and who can forget your first time, right?). Every year, around her birthday, I'm in a frenzy of planning, buying, sorting out loot bags, baking cakes and doing everything party or birthday related. I absolutely love it.

So, of course, the birthday layout is always part of the fun. The fun of recording the after-birthday memories. Looking through the gallery of digital photos I've taken and making sure to select the ones that record her day 'just so'.

This year, my daughter's birthday theme was pink. Fashionably pink. There was dressing up in pink, making pink icing decorated cookies with pink glittery sprinkles, pink dresses, pink balloons. Everything pink. Hence the pink layout - with a touch of orange here to spice things up a bit.

And who says one page is enough? To go with the overkill, I had to do a two pager (something I don't do very often). Complete with a bit of misting and the necessary journaling, even my hubby says this page is smashin' cool. Love it. I had these 'Sassafrass Lass' Paper whimsies which were just perfect for the occasion - why use one when you can use all in the pack. Pearly and shiny American Crafts brads to top it up and the layout is complete!

:) Happy Pinky Birthday memories for me (and my daughter).. :)! Hope you have fun making those birthday layouts too!

Journaling says: This is the birthday story. 6th is a special number: from little child to little lady. To celebrate, this year we had two parties. One on the 18th, with five other girls. All pink. All lovely with take home crafts and homemade cupcakes and sandwiches. And another on the 21st with all her classmates and school friends. It was such a blast. Lara shared the party with Olivia who is also born on the 18th of August. Lara’s big cake was as she wished - a skating princess. Her friends played dress up and we had an entertainer play games with the kids. Lara had a few things on her wish list for her birthday and we got her a couple of things. Her biggest wish was for a scooter which she just loved to play with. We took it out the evening of the birthday to the park. Happy 6th birthday my princess!

Val:
materials: Cardstock: Bazzill; patterned paper: SEI; labels: October Afternoon; butterflies: Jenni Bowlin Studio; letters: American Crafts; "6" card: Sassafras Lass; acetate frame: MME; pearls: Kaiser

One thing I like to do when I scrapbook my kid's birthdays is list off a few things they like at that age - that's what my journaling does on this page. Because my daughter's birthday is in the summer, I wanted the colors to be sunny & warm. I used a mix of new and not-so-new product. The lined paper is SEI from last year, and the flowers were cut from an SEI paper from at least 3 years ago. Also used some current Jenni Bowlin (butterflies), Sassafras ('six' tag) and October Afternoon (labels) - all snatched from current Studio Calico kits.

7 comments:

  1. Birthdays and scrapping! I usually make more the 100 photos and get crazy which ones to choose afterwards. Of course I have loads of birthday layouts (and even more to do....).
    This will be a busy sunday.
    By the way: the Missed Birthday layout is very beautiful! I love it. I even got shivers over my back reading it! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! First....happy birth week to Amanda!!! And wowwwwwwwww what a challenge...but I loveeeeeeeeee how almost everyone thought outside of the box!!! LOVE all the creations! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work ladies - can't wait to see what everyone puts together - hope we see some minis, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every layout is great! I particularly love the use of the sheet music! I will be "lifting" that one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sandi, glad you like my layout! If you do lift it, please share it, I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats girls!!! loved everything! ;))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I didn't make it for this challenge, I thought you might like to seem my non-traditional page here . It's the first one. I turned 50 in July and didn't want it to be a typical layout. The title reads 'Suddenly I was 50'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, don't forget to upload your Sunday challenge layouts to Inlinkz in the sidebar!