Wednesday 15 September 2010

Wednesday Extra - 15/9/10

Hello all :-)  This week it's my turn (Nic) to bring you a Wednesday extra project and I'd like to use my extra post to share a super cool discovery!  There is so much inspiration and talent out there in our scrappy world and every so often I come across a project that really piques my interest.  A couple of weeks ago at my monthly crop we were treated to an unexpected class - a lean-mean-mini book which had been designed and was taught by one of our regular crop gals - Jemma Sharrock.

I thought Jemma's design was incredibly inventive - it's a super easy to make mini book (size 5" x 3.75") that is constructed using just one sheet of card stock and one sheet of double sided patterned paper.  With a few strategically placed cuts and folds, your paper and card magically metamorphoses into an 8 page mini book where every inch of the original paper and card are put to good use!  There are cleverly constructed pockets, tags and mats and it is all bound together into a little box form with a ribbon tie.  I thought this was such a great idea, and thoroughly enjoyed the class, so asked Jemma if she would mind if I featured her design on our Studio extras feature, so lots of additional scrappers could also be introduced to and enjoy her lean, mean mini book design.  Luckily for us, she said yes!

Jemma has kindly compiled and written a fab set of instructions for the Studio blog readers which can be viewed, printed or downloaded here.  Please also pay a visit to Jemma's blog where you can see a slide show displaying some of the gorgeous lean-mean-mini books she has created.

Here are a few pictures of the book I made in Jemma's class:






I chose to tell the story of my newly discovered love of walking as I felt this book would be the perfect medium to chart some of the individual walks I've completed this year, with plenty of space to add more as I complete them.  The little pull out mats are just the right size to display a 2 x 3" photo and journaling square, so I used these to create individual graded walk guides.  The pocket was the ideal place to store some of my downloaded route maps.

A big thank you to Jemma for sharing her design and I hope you have as much fun making a lean mean mini book as I did :-) 

9 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh this GORGEOUS!!! LOVE IT! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing, thanks so much for sharing the link to Jemma's fabulous tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book is great Nic - love the way you've added even more pockets on one of the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius. Well done Jemma and Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea, girls :) Thanks so much for sharing with us, Jemma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh i was at Jemma's class and it was brill!!!
    Great book and love the idea Jemma :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project and it will be set in motion tonight! However, I know this is going to be a silly question, but what is "narrow DST"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's thin double sided sticky tape BettyMac, hope that helps :-)

    Have fun making your book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, don't forget to upload your Sunday challenge layouts to Inlinkz in the sidebar!